Thursday, August 7, 2008

Reflections on: David Kelley: The Future of Design is Human-centred

The designer's approach to design is changing. David Kelly sees it as becoming more human-centred, which is both positive and interesting. In the past, we were purely focused on the 'cool' item; we came into a room with a "black cloth" covering a prototype, and could reveal it to 'ooh's' and 'aah's'. Of course, we're still focused on the product, but it's not such a secret from the intended consumer anymore. We are working more closely with the public, and, based on what they want or need, we are "designing behaviour and personality into products." Designers are becoming "more trusted" and "more integrated."
The video suggests that study of behaviour and personality can help me as an Industrial Designer.
I was very intersted in the design of the "Dilbert Cublicle". The approaches the designers took , including dressing themselves up as the walls to give the cube a more personal feel, were very interesting. Incorporating the window-level row of orange cubes that simulated the movement of the sun in the sky as the days passes was genius. Little touches like the flower that wilts as you leave the room and the punching bag available right there in the wall were very human and impressive.
I would love to be involved in projects like this. I also found the three second delay mirror to be very clever. It is a product that is so simple in idea and incredibly useful, I would like to be able to come up with something as impressive.
I liked the humour Kelley brought to his talk. The hat that he wore, with the message telling the creator that he needed to "calm down" , was creative, and added an element of laughter to the talk. He made the speech more accesable to the general public, which I think is a major step for the design world.

No comments: